I love opinionated non-PC people. This blog is to vent my opinions on life, the universe and everything. Which is 42 which in gematria is "My Heart" (LBY) according to Rabbi Abulafia. The Divine Heart is the centre of everything.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Marginalisation of Torah-observant Hebrew Catholics

Messianic Rabbi Russell Resnik

I have written before about the misunderstanding, marginalisation and persecution of Hebrew Catholics and especially those who adhere to both the Written and Oral Torah. Not only are these Torah-observant Hebrew Catholics marginalised by many Gentile Catholics but also by other Hebrew Catholics who do not hold this position. Many do this out of sincere conviction that this is a position inconsistent with the Catholic Faith. Others because they feel threatened by such observance. Others who themselves are not opposed to such observance, nevertheless marginalise the observant ones because they fear the reaction of other Catholics.



In an article in "Kesher" entitled "Hesed And Hospitality: Embracing Our Place on the Margins" Messianic Rabbi Russell Resnik of the Union of Jewish Messianic Congregations describes a similiar phenomenon among the Torah-Observant Messianic Jews. He writes:"...The risk of marginalization intensifies if we actually defend traditional Judaism to our Christian friends, and this is surely an aspect of marginalization that we must embrace. Levine speaks of the "popular Christian imagination," which sees Yeshua as the only one in the Jewish world of his day who cares about the poor and marginalized. He is not just against religious leaders who have missed the heart of Torah with their rigorous teaching; rather, in the popular Christian imagination, he is against Torah itself, and ultimately against Judaism. Such a reading may be able to accept that Jews who have not yet found Jesus will cling to their old ways, at least until some final apocalyptic resolution. But Jews who profess loyalty to Yeshua and remain attached to Jewish tradition and community are suspect and risk marginalization..." This article clearly explains the place of marginalisation as a deeper embracing of the way of Yeshua and his mission of Chesed (lovingkindness/mercy). For me the marginisation by the wider Jewish community and the wider Christian communities is difficult but the greatest suffering is when this marginalisation comes from fellow Jews who believe in Yeshua as the Messiah.

Also see Five Kinds of Hebrew Catholics

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no such thing as a Catholic Jew anymore than there is such a thing as a Christian who worships Buddha. A Jew who chooses the Oral tradition of the Catholic Church over the Oral Tradition of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, etc. has by his very nature removed himself from the Jewish people. This is not my teaching, it is the Teaching of Moses. To become a part of the Church, is by very nature to remove yourself from Jewish tradition. To continue to hold on to Jewish laws out of a belief that they matter, is foolish nonsense and is not supported by Jewish or Christian teaching. Make up your mind and stick with it. We all make choices in life. Choose wisely.

Aharon (Athol Bloomer) said...

I have made my choice long ago to be fully Catholic and fully Jewish. I accept the Oral tradition of both Judaism and Catholicism and I try to grow into holiness by observing as I am able.

Raymond-David said...

Athol,

I am of Sephardic heritage and from a Protestant background, but coming into the Church this Easter Vigil. My friend referred me to your blog on another post on the blog, but I'm finding so much that encourages me here. Thanks for being here.

Gilbert of the Divine Presence said...

Welcome brother. I am glad you are finding some of what I blog about helpful.

Boyd said...

I am a Bible believing Baptised First Baptist from age 11 in 1944, who become Torah Observant in 1959, confirmed by the Roman Catholic Church on March 17, 2010; I am now Catholic.

I believe in the su premacy of the Apostle Peter and his successors in Rome. I have found strength and reassurance in my conviction reading in the Catechism and the Code of Cannon Law in regard to “Conscience formed by Divine Law” and "Liberty to follow what is in the Lilturgical Books”.

I do not follow the Traditions of the Pharisees as amoung Messianics and in Judaism, as is seen outwardly.

My observance is strictly from what I read in the Bible; However this is enough to cause major separations from most other Catholics; although my fellow Catholics seem more tolerant than Protestants. Most of them do not even know it; but that is a problem since I feel I must discreetly, gracefully, somehow let them know (Lev. 19:17 – 18; James 5:10 and 1John 3:4; 5:3)

Boyd... said...

I am a Bible believing Baptised First Baptist from age 11 in 1944, who become Torah Observant in 1959, confirmed by the Roman Catholic Church on March 17, 2010; I am now Catholic.

I believe in the su premacy of the Apostle Peter and his successors in Rome. I have found strength and reassurance in my conviction reading in the Catechism and the Code of Cannon Law in regard to “Conscience formed by Divine Law” and "Liberty to follow what is in the Lilturgical Books”.

I do not follow the Traditions of the Pharisees as amoung Messianics and in Judaism, as is seen outwardly.

My observance is strictly from what I read in the Bible; However this is enough to cause major separations from most other Catholics; although my fellow Catholics seem more tolerant than Protestants. Most of them do not even know it; but that is a problem since I feel I must discreetly, gracefully, somehow let them know (Lev. 19:17 – 18; James 5:10 and 1John 3:4; 5:3)

Anonymous said...

I am a Hispanic American Roman Catholic and I do not see anything wrong with following the Torah(as they are the only 5 books of the bible that claim divine origin) and believing in the Roman Catholic priesthood that took over the Jewish priesthood with the destruction if the Temple in Jerusalem.
Doing both seems like a great way to combine the old and new covenets for a deeper richer faith.
The closer we get to Judaism which are our roots as Christians, the better!
The 3 holy languages are Hebrew, Latin and Greek, as those were the 3 languages that proclaimed to the world the death-sacrafice of our Reedemer and Saviour and lord jesus christ. The more you know those 3 languages the better!